3.1 Great Commission
3.1 Ten - When the group gets larger than 10 people
someone drops out.
-We are the church, not a building or anything else.
-You are the temple of the Holy Spirit.
It is important everyone is able to participate and that no one drops out.
1. The family of God includes all believers.
2. Your spiritual family is even more important than your physical family,
because it will last forever.
3. Our relationship to other believers will continue through eternity.
4. Jesus said, “Anyone who does the will of my father in Heaven is my brother
and sister and mother.”
5. Life is meant to be shared.
6. God intends for us to experience life together.
7. Unselfish loving, honest sharing, practical serving, sacrificial giving,
8. Everyone needs to participate. Keep groups less than 10.
9. Consistency in attendance is key.
10. When people meet in small groups consistently, spending time with each
other pays off in personal and spiritual growth.
11. It happens when people get honest.
12. They share hurts, reveal feelings, confess failures, disclose doubts, admit
fears, acknowledge weaknesses, ask for help and prayer.
13. Paul said, “I want us to help each other, your faith will help me, and my faith
will help you.”
14. God says, “When people sin, you should forgive and comfort them, so they
will not give up in despair.”
15. Never hold grudges.
Levels of Communication and Relationship
1. Cliché conversation - Lowest level of conversation, hide behind emotional masks. We refuse to reveal our true feelings. You are talking, not communicating.
2. Reporting facts about other people. Report activity about others, or gossip.
3. Involves sharing some of our ideas, feelings, and decisions. At this level we are willing to give you a peek at the real me, but I will watch your every move carefully, at the first sign of rejection, I will retreat back into my shell.
4. Where we lay down our guard and expose our real feelings and emotions. At this level our communication goes deeper than superficial. This is the real me. I am sharing what I feel deep down in my soul. I am revealing what I love, fear or long for. If you demand others to agree with you about everything, then you will never reach level 4, you will simply be a bully, or emotional tyrant.
5. Communication occurs when the symphony of the soul is played...when two or more humans interact in absolute honesty. All pretense is gone. Fear is gone. There are no snide remarks, and there is no rejection of any kind. We choose to communicate with transparency and compassion, permitting the other person to respond with total emotional freedom. Ephesians 5:25, 28. Love communicates.
Test your knowledge, answer the questions below. Use the comments box to check for understanding.
1. Define the church.
2. What should happen in the church?
3. When can we minister one to another?
4. What are the levels of relationship?
5. What are the benefits of meeting in a small group
consistently with the same people each time?