1.3 Love God
1.3 so forget about the past...
So we forget the past and press forward. (Intentional effort to grow.)
Intentional effort is required for spiritual maturation. Because salvation is a gift, no work is required, but spiritual maturity requires us to forget the past and press forward to become like Christ.
-2 Corinthians 3:18
-1 Peter 2:2
-2 Peter 3:18
1. God wants you to grow up like Christ in everything. Ephesians 4:15.
2. Ephesians 4:14 states, “We are not meant to remain as children.”
3. God desires that you mature and develop the characteristics of Christ.
4. Spiritual growth takes intentional effort and commitment.
5. You must want to grow, decide how to grow, make an effort to grow and
persist in growing.
6. Decide to become a disciple of Jesus Christ.*
7. Your commitments define you.
8. What are you committed to?
9. We become whatever we are committed to.
10. Since everything around you is going to melt away, what holy, Godly lives
you should be living.
11. Christ-likeness is the result of making Christ-like choices.
12. You must begin to act in new ways.
13. *Let go of old routines and develop new habits.
14. Intentionally change the way you think.
15. Spiritual growth is a collaborative effort between you and God.
16. Be careful how you think; your life is being shaped by your thoughts.
17. Let God change the way you think—be transformed.
18. Their must be a spiritual renewal of thoughts and attitudes.
19. God’s goal in your life is not comfort, it is character development.
20. Christ-likeness is all about transforming your character.
21. 2 Corinthians states, “As the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become
more and more like Him, and reflect His glory even more.”
22. The just shall live by faith.
23. Christ is in you.
24. The Holy Spirit releases His power the moment you take a step of faith.
25. Obedience unlocks God’s power. God waits for you to act.
26. We must act in spite of our fears.
27. This is how to cooperate with the Holy Spirit, and how your character
28. Effort has nothing to do with salvation. Effort has much to do with spiritual
29. The apostle Paul says, “Make every effort towards becoming like Christ.”
30. You don’t just sit around waiting for it to happen.
31. The old life has to go.
32. Change your way of thinking.
33. Get new habits, focusing on God's message, and be transformed.
34. Paul said, "put on the new self."
35. God’s people provide support.
36. Trust God in difficult times. (Keep an eternal perspective, while going through trials and that will help you keep everything in perspective.)
Test your knowledge, answer the questions below. Use the comments box to check for understanding...
1. You are to forget what ,and do what?
2. Why is intentional effort required to grow
3. Why is no effort required to be born again?
4. The just shall live by what?
5. What is God's goal for your life?
6. As a disciple of Christ, would you become more
self-centered, or more selfless? Why?